• Administrator
  •  
    Welcome to BIRCurries.co.uk Discussion Forum
    Your One-Stop Resource for Discussing Anything to do With Replicating British Indian Restaurant (BIR) Style Curries at Home!

Please note that you need to be a MEMBER to access the recipe sections of the forum. Please REGISTER and then become a MEMBER by following the link below:

Membership gives you FULL ACCESS to:

• OVER 300 BIR-STYLE MAIN DISH CURRY RECIPES
    • OVER 300 BIR-STYLE STARTERS, ACCOMPANIMENTS & SIDE DISH RECIPES
    • OVER 100 BIR-STYLE CURRY BASE RECIPES
    • OVER 100 ANCILLARY RECIPES NEEDED TO MAKE YOUR BIR-STYLE CURRIES
    • OVER 100 TRADITIONAL & OTHER NON-BIR STYLE CURRY RECIPES

Please send me a Personal Message or email me, at admin@bircurries.co.uk, if you have any questions or if you need any assistance with using the forum.

Brick Lane, London

Photos of BIR & members' curries

PLEASE POST PHOTOS RELATING TO A SPECIFIC RECIPE IN THE ASSOCIATED RECIPE THREAD
Forum rules
Photos and discussions relating to a specific recipe to be posted in the associated recipe thread. Please start a new thread for a new (discrete) topic.
Alchemist
BHUT JOLOKIA
BHUT JOLOKIA
Favourite Curries: Lamb Jalfrezi

Brick Lane, London

Post by Alchemist »

Had to try it out earlier this month. More BIRs than you can shake a stick at. Had a nice meal at the Bengal Village.
image.jpg
image.jpg (75.91 KiB) Viewed 5586 times
Dan Sak
CAYENNE
CAYENNE

Re: Brick Lane, London

Post by Dan Sak »

Nice one Alchy. What made you decide on that particular establishment?
Alchemist
BHUT JOLOKIA
BHUT JOLOKIA
Favourite Curries: Lamb Jalfrezi

Post by Alchemist »

It was excellent - see my full review here, Mr Sak :yes:
Dan Sak
CAYENNE
CAYENNE

Post by Dan Sak »

Glad you enjoyed. Seeing as I live about 50 minutes away from Brick Lane I really should go for a curry there.... I did have one from a curry van near Petticoat Lane (nearby) one lunchtime with 2 colleagues and all 3 of us had serious 'toilet' problems over the course of the next 48 hours :laugh:
bw1
JALAPENO
JALAPENO

Post by bw1 »

This i can help with well maybe

Petticoat Lane is in London E1 postcode, be dammed if i know where Petticoat lane is, im 50 SW london man and been there billions of times in the 70s and 80s as for Petticoat? No ideas - its Middlesex Lane of Street (Street correctly) the sales back in 1600s what made London have the name Petticoat Lane, not convinced there ever was such a road

The place was political, north of Aldgate Station or correctly Aldgate EAST, and least to Shoreditch to the left and Bethnal Green to the right a little further, brick lane is such a road and is not linked to Petticoat

Brick Lane is over to the North West of the end of Petticoat (Middlesex St) and few minutes walk away

the reason Petticoat Lane does not exist is in fact the name was changed I recall to Middlesex Street. but the old London name stuck, ah trust us London guys ah? This was around 100 years ago, no Brick Lane notice !

Brick Lane was rubbish up until 1970 and then on, its no place nowadays thou. Petticoat got the German treatment in WW2 and this fizzed out most and crime took over, on later in the 70s Brick lane a little over kicked into play with men, women and children from The West Indies and Asia settling, many bring news things and ideas and many following old England and mixing it up a little

Thus Brick Lane now, and why Petticoat failed

I preferred petticoat if honest was my times, I used to park free outside the Police Station and have a wicked time, market places. I used to check my car for bombs before getting back in to my car often the Police were about so they saw what I was doing and join in- well London been thats kinda place all my life for many a reasons

Not been there for 20+ 25+ years now, how its changed

One day ill tell about my 80s currys in TA in south London
British Indian
BIRD'S EYE
BIRD'S EYE
Favourite Curries: Ceylon, Madras
England

Post by British Indian »

Might have to try that next year Alchy as well as/instead of Hilal :cool2: